Normal Gets You Nowhere

img_7627In December 2010, I was on Christmas break with my sleep schedule all screwed up and I was flipping channels in the middle of the night and I came across a rerun of The Hills. It was thirty minutes of complete drama and bull shit but I was completely hooked.  I ended up watching the series on netflix. While I liked the drama and bull shit that was 90% of the show’s content, my favorite part was the other 10% of the show’s content, Lauren Conrad trying to make a name for herself in the fashion industry. Specifically, in the later episodes when Lauren was working for Kelly Cutrone at People’s Revolution.

I fell in love with Kelly right away. She’s brutally honest, doesn’t put up with any bull shit and has her focus is on getting the job done.

In her second book, Normal Gets You Nowhere, Kelly gives advice and lessons that she’s learned based on her life experiences.  She talks about everything from her spiritual beliefs, personal branding, sex, the law and family.

Do I recommend this book to everyone? Not necessarily. Kelly can be a bit out there but I do think there are two chapters in the book that should be required reading for all living humans. The first chapter, Comfortably Numb, it talks about how everyone and everything is a brand and how we as a society have become numb to hearing about bad things. The other chapter that I think everyone should read is the seventh chapter, The No Matter What Club. In it, Kelly talks about how you should have your group of people who you have their back and they have your back no matter what. How you need to have people like that in your life to survive.

Now, if you’ve been following this blog for awhile, it’s no big secret that one of my favorite books is Kelly’s first book, If You Have to Cry, Go Out Side. I’ve actually read it a couple of times now. I love that book so much, I had pretty high standards going in to Normal Gets You Nowhere. My only regret with reading it was waiting so long to do so. I gave it 4/5 stars.

Much Love,



Normal Gets You Nowhere